Perhaps nowhere on Mother Earth can the excitement of a new experience be any greater than by taking a voyage into the Arctic or even beyond, by braving the polar ice cap to reach the North Pole. This region is one of the most remote and extreme on the planet, sadly, it is disappearing at an alarming rate. The polar ice cap has been retreating for almost thirty years now and along with it
Nowadays the Arctic is one of the last ecologically intact wilderness sanctuaries on our planet. The Arctic’s ecological balance, however, is extremely precarious. Under the region’s extreme climatic conditions, animal and plant life exists on the verge of their tolerances. Therefore our expeditions are arranged in a way that minimizes disturbance to wildlife and the fragile natural environment of the Arctic. All our expeditions comply with all International ecological requirements and requirements for conservation of natural resources.
The North Pole Expedition is presented to you in partnership with Expedition Cruises, the market leader in Arctic-bound adventure tourism. Expedition Cruises has been leading expeditions into the Russian Arctic on its chartered icebreakers and expedition cruise ships since 2001. Its expert guides have led expedition cruises to such faraway places as the archipelagos of Novaya Zemlya and Severnaya Zemlya as well as to the islands of Vaigach, Oranskiye and Vise. The company is operating the only expedition cruises to Franz Josef Land archipelago.
Icebreaker "50 YEARS OF VICTORY"
The “50 Years of Victory” is the largest and most modern nuclear-powered icebreaker in the world. For those with an appreciation of such vessels, the “Victory” is a new generation ship, an upgrade of the Arktika-class. Among its state-of-the-art features are a spoon-shaped bow designed for greater ice breaking ability, an automated, digitized control system, the most up-to-date nuclear safeguards and protection systems. As a working icebreaker, the “Victory” is vastly more suitable to life on board than was its predecessor the “Yamal”. Though its cabins and suites are as comfortable and spacious as were those on the “Yamal”, the “Victory” offers its passenger much more room for socializing and get-together. Qualified chefs prepare a variety of international cuisine and experienced waitresses attend your needs. The bar has a large supply of alcoholic and soft beverages.
NB. The “50 Years of Victory” is the property of the Russian Federation and has received maritime registration under the name “50 LET POBEDY”.
June 19 — July 2
June 30 — July 13
July 14 — July 27
July 25 — August 7
The North Pole Expedition — Itinerary.
Day Location Excursion program
Welcome to Helsinki, the cozy Finnish Capital.
Following your arrival in Helsinki and subsequent transfer to your hotel, you will be greeted by our representative in the lobby of your hotel.
Helsinki-Murmansk flight and embarkation.
Following a short tour of Helsinki, you will board a chartered plane for the short two hour flight to Murmansk. There, you will board “50 Years of Victory”, one of the most powerful icebreakers in the world, after which time you will depart Murmansk and start your journey north via Kola Bay.
3 The Barents Sea
While continuing your journey north across the Barents Sea, you will be introduced to the safety instructions which have been put in place to ensure your complete protection:
- while aboard the “50 years of Victory”
- during our expedition in the higher arctic altitudes
You will likewise have the opportunity to become familiar with the ship and learn all about its unique icebreaking capabilities and how ice fields are negotiated. One of the highlights of this day will be a tour of the engine room – amazing! All this and more are on the day’s agenda!
4, 5 and 6 Voyage to the North Pole
As exciting as reaching the North Pole will be, the three days voyage there will leave you feeling no less so. Adrenaline and awe await you as you go up on deck and witness first-hand the sheer power of our ship as it battles its way through the mighty ice fields that separate you from your arrival at the top of the world. No less inspiring will be the views and panoramas of the astonishing arctic landscape.
Off-deck adventure also awaits you on your way north. Time, weather and/or ice conditions permitting, you will experience breathtaking helicopter rides over the icebreaker as it plows its way through the ice.
For those wishing to take some time away from their new-found sea legs, a walk on the ice pack will do the trick.
7 The North Pole
Seven is more than just a lucky number; it’s the day we expect to reach the North Pole. With heart-pounding anticipation, the “Victory” will be slowly maneuvered into position at exactly 90? N. Welcome to the Geographical North Pole.
But this is only the start of your adventure. Disembarking from the ship, you will experience the once-in-a-lifetime thrill of standing on the top of the world. To celebrate this victory, you will join hands with the other passengers while everyone literally walks around the world during our special International Round Dance. Topping off the day will be our North Pole barbecue.
Optional: For the more daring and adventurous, a plunge into the Arctic Ocean.
8,9,10 and 11 The Islands and Archipelagos of the Russian Arctic
During the many years that we have been operating in the Russian Arctic, we have gained a truly unique experience exploring the many arctic lands in this region, one of the most remote in the world. It is truly our pleasure to share it and our love for these vast lands with you.
Given favorable weather and ice conditions, exploration of the Franz Josef Land Archipelago is in the offering.
12 and 13 The Barents Sea
During the three day journey back to Murmansk, you will have ample opportunity to relive your arctic adventure sharing your favorite memories of all that has befallen you while on this voyage.
And if you didn’t do so before, then take some time out to really enjoy the facilities and amenities that have been provided for your on-board comfort – a game of volleyball, a visit to the gym, a dip in the pool and a sauna followed by a massage. Or simply relax in the ship’s lounge, bar or library.
After disembarking in Murmansk, you will be returned to Helsinki where you will spend a last evening in the Finnish capital.
Ship - 50 Years of Victory
Twin Standard - $23,995
Mini Suite - $26,595
Junior Suite - $32,995
Grand Suite - $33,495
"Victory" Suite - $33,995
"Arktika" Suite - $34,995
Double cabin/sgl use +70% to 100%
Air flight Helsinki — Murmansk — Helsinki– $1,690
Expedition rates include :
- 2 nights in a 4-5* hotel in Helsinki, breakfast included
- Group transfers when embarkingdisembarking your charter flight Helsinki – Murmansk – Helsinki
- Voyage aboard the Ship as described in the itinerary
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the Voyage by helicopter (as detailed in the planned group excursions)
- Program of lectures and informal discussions by experienced Expedition Team and guest lecturers
- Four meals a day (including fresh bakery items every afternoon) and tea / coffee station and drinking water dispenser around the clock
- Waterproof boots for the duration of the cruise
- In-cabin: bathrobe and hairdryer
- Informative pre-departure materials and expedition log with picture album on DVD
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- Special expedition parka
- Personalized medical insurance covering the risks of evacuation and repatriation (in addition to other risks). Coverage – 100,000 EUR
- Letter of Invitation. This document should be presented to the Russian Consulate in your area in order to obtain a Russian Visa
- Travel expenses to and from Helsinki
- Transfers to and from your 4-5* hotel in Helsinki before and after the expedition
- Passport and visa expenses (if required); A RUSSIAN VISA IS REQUIRED FOR THIS TRIP. THIS VISA MUST BE OBTAINED BY THE CUSTOMER AND IS AT HIS / HER OWN EXPENSE. Please, contact your local Russian Consulate to learn more about the procedure for obtaining a Russian Visa
- State arrival and departure taxes (if levied)
- Meals ashore and supplements in respect of single hotel accommodation (if required)
- Luggage and cancellation insurance. (Strongly recommended – Imperial River Cruises can suggest a reliable provider of such insurance)
- Excess Luggage charges on international and local flights
- Telecommunication services; laundry, bar and beverage charges aboard the vessel
Tips for stewards and other service personal aboard (at your discretion)